MSA (ANU), BE Hons Phys, BA (Syd)
Founder and Director, Jnana Australia
Independent Candidate for South Brisbane and Griffith on the People Decide platform
- managing the development and provision of software, mobile apps and support for government timebanking projects in urban and rural regions;
- managing an international study into complementary currencies;
- designed, negotiated and managed a large project to draft the regulations for the Securities and Exchange Commission of Cambodia (SECC), rules for a stock exchange, rules for a dealers association and recommendations for wider legislative change; and
- managed an election campaign for a participatory democracy party in Australia.
He has good experience and knowledge in complementary currencies, securities, banking, ethical consumption, participatory democracy, political campaigns, international aid and development, human rights, negotiation and mediation.
Prior to this Karel lived in Cambodia managing The Provision of Experts for the Development of Securities Sector in Cambodia, to set up a stock exchange in Cambodia, a unique consultancy style project using volunteers. A prominent steering committee consisting of the Australian Government, compliance and international development associations, legal, risk management, securities and banking experts was established to oversee, and prominent organisations partnered with, the project.
He co-ordinated the feasibility studies, negotiated with the Cambodian Government and together with consultants designed the project.
This was preceded working for a small Canberra based NGO managing international aid projects in Cambodia, Vietnam, Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea and the Philippines. Projects covered the ﬁnancial, legal, education, health, environmental and IT sectors.
Karel has worked with Amnesty International Australia. He was involved in campaigns aimed at achieving financial equality for all, disseminating information about anti-terror laws, Guantánamo Bay, CIA rendition flights, indigenous rights and conditions in Darfur, Sudan.
Karel lived in the wilderness solo for 6 months, similar to the movie "Into the Wild", taught meditation courses at the University of Sydney, and has been a judge for the Green Awards and Ethical Enterprise Awards in Australia.
In the late 1990s he worked as a mechatronic engineer on a robotic system to calculate the friction on airport runways where he developed good project management skills. He has also had experience with the United Nations and represented Australia as a performer in the handover ceremony at the Olympic Games in Atlanta, USA.
Karel has a Masters of Strategic Affairs from the Australian National University. A Bachelor of Mechatronic Engineering with an Honours thesis in physics and a Bachelor of Arts in studies in religion and asian studies. He also worked on a special project into an interpretation of quantum mechanics. Other qualiﬁcations include business and risk management.
Publications and speeches:
- Boele. K. ʻNew directions in Asia-Paciﬁc Co-operation - Linking Tracks 1, 2 and 3ʼ, Conference Paper, Towards Greater Efﬁciency in Regulating and Supervising Financial Markets in Emerging Economies, East Asia Summit Seminar, 2009.
- Boele K. ‘Preliminary Lessons: Project to Assist the Development of the Cambodian Stock Exchange’, Speech, Towards Greater Efficiency in Regulating and Supervising Financial Markets in Emerging Economies, East Asia Summit Seminar 2009.
- Boele K. ʻEvidence of a Virtual Anode in Inertial Electrostatic Conﬁnement (IEC)ʼ, Physics Thesis, University of Sydney, 2002.
- Khachan J., Bosi S., Moore D., & Boele K. ʻSpatial ion energy distribution along a micro-channel in an IEC deviceʼ, Conference paper 2, 4th U.S.-Japan Workshop on IEC Sources, 2002.
Karel spends his spare time working in his organic garden, the outdoors, wilderness, going to good dinner parties, experimenting with physics and working on personal development. He enjoys politics and economic development. He is a certified leaders wilderness first aider (but don't expect him to remember how to help you if you get into trouble) and enjoys spending time with people.